College and Career Prep
Community and Service Learning
What We Do
Communities In Schools (CIS) of Georgia in Henry County brings support and resources to schools in our community by doing the following:
- Conducts an assessment of the community to determine the need for CIS
- Partners with school district leadership to identify where CIS can have the greatest impact
- Hires, trains and assigns a site coordinator to a school in need
- Partners with the school districts, local agencies, businesses and foundations to garner support for the organization and its work
- Mobilizes community resources to address academic and nonacademic barriers
- Continuously evaluates their work at all levels to ensure progress is made and goals are met
The site coordinator fills a pivotal role as the single point of contact working inside the school coordinating and providing integrated student supports. They work with school leadership and staff to connect students and families with community resources that help to address both academic and nonacademic needs, allowing students to show up healthy, safe, and prepared to learn.
What sets CIS apart is our holistic approach to addressing both the academic and nonacademic needs of students. Working with school leadership and staff, CIS site coordinators — who are based inside schools — prioritize the needs of the school, determine which supports need to be increased or improved and identify supports that the schools need but don’t currently have. In addition to the school needs assessment, site coordinators also identify students at risk of dropping out, assess what they need and then find the right supports to ensure they stay on track to graduate.
Once the needs assessment is complete, the site coordinator meets with their school support team to put together a plan to address these needs–through school-wide, targeted group and individualized supports. They then collaborate with local providers to put these plans into action. They attach measurable goals to the plans and track progress against defined metrics to ensure they provide the best possible supports, producing positive results for schools and students.